This is the list of the world’s highest bridges, ranked by the maximum distance from the road of the bridge down to the ground or water beneath.
In other words, when you drive in your car over the bridge and look down – how far does the ground look.
1. Sidu River Bridge, China – Height of 496 m (1,627 ft). This 1,222 m (4,009 ft) long suspension bridge is the world’s highest bridge since 2009. Located in the Hubei Province, it crosses the valley of the Sidu River
2. Baluarte Bridge, Mexico – Height of 403 m (1,322 ft). A cable-stayed bridge, located along the Durango–Mazatlán highway. The bridge has a total length of 1,124 m (3,688 ft), most of which passes above the valley below. The Baluarte Bridge is the highest cable-stayed bridge in the world, and the second-highest bridge overall
3. Baling River Bridge, China – Height of 370 m (1,210 ft). A suspension bridge in Guizhou Province. The bridge spans over the Baling River Valley. The bridge has a total length of 2,237 m (7,339 ft)
4. Beipanjiang River 2003 Bridge, China – Height of 366 m (1,201 ft). A suspension bridge in Guizhou Province. The bridge has a span width of 388 metres. Between 2003 and 2005, it was the world’s highest bridge
5. Aizhai Bridge, China – Height of 350 m (1,150 ft). A suspension bridge in Hunan, China. It is the world’s highest and longest tunnel-to-tunnel bridge
6. Beipanjiang River 2009 Bridge, China – Height of 318 m (1,043 ft). A suspension bridge in Guizhou Province. It crosses the Beipan River. It was opened to the public in 2009, just 6 years after another (and higher) bridge crossing the same river was opened (see number 4 in this list)
7. Liuguanghe Bridge, China – Height of 297 m (974 ft). A beam bridge in Guizhou, China. It held the record for world’s highest bridge between 2001 and 2003. It is still the highest beam bridge in the world
8. Zhijinghe River Bridge, China – Height of 294 m (965 ft). The highest arch bridge in the world. The bridge crosses the valley of the Zhijinghe River and is opened to the public since 2009
9. Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado, United States – Height of 291 m (955 ft). The Royal Gorge Bridge is a tourist attraction within a theme park. The bridge deck crosses the Royal Gorge 955 feet (291 m) above the Arkansas River, and held the record of highest bridge in the world from 1929 until 2001. The bridge is 1,260 feet (384 m) long It is the highest in the United States
10. Beipanjiang River Railway Bridge, China – Height of 275 m (902 ft). The world’s highest railway bridge. The bridge spans a deep canyon on the Beipan River in Guizhou province. This is the third bridge within this list spanning over the Beipan river