Located in Los Angeles County, the abandoned truss arch bridge is 180 ft long over the San Gabriel River. It was meant to be part of a road connecting the San Gabriel Valley with Wrightwood which would be one of the most scenic roads in America. Unfortunately, these thoughts quickly changed when the East Fork Road, which provided access to the bridge, was washed out during a massive flood in 1938, just two years after the bridge’s completion. The bridge remains, isolated deep in the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tucked away in the beautiful Sheep Mountain Wilderness, the abandoned bridge was built in 1936. Despite its popularity, the trail frequently gets washed out and can be very dangerous. Parts of the old paved roadway can still be found. Crossing the river to and from the Bridge to Nowhere can be dangerous and even individuals crossing in groups have experienced fatalities. Additional plans were made in the 1950s and the 1960s to once again bring a road to the mountainous terrain -called Shoemaker Canyon Road- but was only partially completed, giving it the nickname "The Road to Nowhere."
Pic: Daniel Cardozo