Spectacular short mountain road in Spain, located in the Liebana zone, between the Autonomous Communities of Asturias and Cantabria. The road is permanently closed to vehicles.
The road, going through the La Peña path, starts in the municipality of Urdon, at an elevation of 75m above the sea level, in the point of the junction with the N-621 road (which follows the river Urdon inside the gorges of Hermida), and finishes in the town of Tresviso, at an elevation of 907m above the sea level, in the middle of the Picos de Europa mountain range. The road, called officially PR-PNPE-30, was built during the XIX century, to bring materials to the mine of Andara, by a society called 'La Providencia'. After some meters, the tortuous winding path arrives to the hydroelectric power station called Central Hidroeléctica de Electra de Viesgo S.A., built in the year 1912, and rebuilt in 1952 after a fire. After the hydroelectric power station, the most famous zones of this path are called Ahileras, Entrelospuentes, las Canalizas de Grezo, canal de Cerrosa, la Vargona, Ciabedo, el balcón de Pilatos (a point with a vertical fall of more than 600m with an indredible view of the river Urdón), Cotero Cruzand los Invernales de Prias,before reaching the town of Tresviso. Never underestimate this track!. The road was used by soldiers during the Spanish Civil War. The surface of road, with with an average slope of 13,8% is rocks, with never ending hairpins and curves.
Pic: HIGINIO HEVIA RODRIGUEZ