The Antrim Coast Road offers views more spectacular than the Grand Canyon in the US or Venezuela's Angel Falls, according to a survey. Sydney Opera House came top in the poll of 5,000 Britons by an Australian wine company to find places with the world's most spectacular views.
A sunset in Mauritius; Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown in New Zealand and Victoria Falls in Zambia came next on the list. In fifth was the 23-mile route, dug into cliffs and overhanging the sea. Sometimes compared with California's famous Highway One, Big Sur, the Antrim Coast Road was built in the 1830s. The single-carriageway road links the Port of Larne with the nine Glens of Antrim.
According to the Jacob's Creek survey, the top 10 views from which to enjoy a glass of wine are:
1. Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House;
2. Mauritius - Watching the sunset from a hot tub;
3. Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown in New Zealand;
4. Victoria Falls, Zambia;
5. Antrim Coast Road, Northern Ireland;
6. Bora Bora, French Polynesia;
7. Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA;
8. The ruins of Machu Picchu, Peru;
9. Buachaille Etive Mor, Glencoe, Scotland;
10. Angel Falls, Venezuela.